Saturday, July 16, 2016

The beginning of my fit and fabulous journey


So, a few days ago I decided I was going to get in shape. I got my results back from my pap and I have abnormal cells. So, needless to say, I am scared crap-less. So that night I spent a good two hours online researching fitness, running, counting calories and all that good stuff. The thing is, I have done this before. I have sat there at night reading about things like the Couch to 5K program and beginner running, cardio for overweight people. The problem is, I would come up with this big plan to start running, fall asleep and wake up the next morning with absolutely no motivation whatsoever.
Well, I guess this time is different. The next day I spent the beginning of my day downloading and checking out a bunch of apps for counting calories, tracking fitness and counting steps. I finally decided on a trio of apps: Google Fit, Noom Weight Loss Coach and their other app Noom Walk, which tracks your steps. Later that day with my little man (one of the biggest reasons for all of this) went down for his nap, I found a beginners kickboxing lesson on YouTube. I am not going to lie, it was in no way easy. Now, Alan and I walk like crazy, but we walk for fun. It is never too fast or too hard. It very rarely gets my heart pumping or sweat dripping. There is definitely a difference between walking leisurely for 5 miles and a 25 minute cardio kickboxing session when you are an overweight, out of shape, pack a day smoker. But I did it. And let me just say, I felt amazing after. I'm not kidding. I really felt great. Yeah, my legs were tired and my arms were a little sore and I was completely out of breath for a good 10 minutes, but I felt awesome. I felt like a rock star. But of course in the back of my mind I had this fear that I would wake up the next day and not want to do anything at all.
Well, I am proud to say that today was the next day and this girl kicked butt again. When little man went down for his nap I did a 30 minute beginner yoga session. I don't want to do too much too fast so I thought I could do a little low impact workout. Well, that just wasn't enough for me. So after dinner I loaded little man into the jogging stroller that I am now super giddy that we have, and took off for a walk. I walked about a mile, although it wasn't all walking. I actually jogged. I'm not going to sit here and say it was awesome, or flawless or even that I felt that great. It wasn’t and I didn't. I actually only jogged for a total of 2 minutes. One minute with two minutes of walking in between. Now I know to some people that may not seem like anything, but to me…wow. All I can really say is wow. And to top it all off, I smoked less than a pack of cigarettes both days and I also stayed under my allotted calories both days. Today I even had more "green foods" than anything else.
The pride that I feel in myself is really an amazing motivator. So is my son, this health scare and that feeling I am going to have when I step on the scale see that I am starting to lose weight. This is going to be one heck of a journey, and it is going to be hard and there will be days where I am going to want to give up. I am really just hoping that by writing this down here, I can inspire myself when I truly need it. And maybe someone will stumble upon with and I can inspire them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment